Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Medford
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re about to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for your family. You’re probably considering the ways you can customize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make certain you give thought to home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about safeguarded should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll show you the way with these safety tips for new homeowners in Medford.
Conduct a safety audit of your new Medford property
Now that safety is front and center, see what your new home has in place. To begin, make sure you have working smoke detectors. Inspect every one and replace batteries if necessary. Are CO detectors in the house? Did you find a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a perfect time to update door locks and investigate all locking mechanisms on windows. Go through every space and get familiar with your new house.
Smart security tips for your Medford home
Once you’ve finished your preliminary check of safety alarms and locks, you should think about elevating your property’s defense. Begin with these security tips for your home in Medford.
- Install a new home security system. One of the top tools for new homeowners in Medford is a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep an eye on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You are able to review up-to-the-second video feeds, engage entry locks, and even talk to guests on your front steps right from your smartphone. You may customize with worthwhile security implements like video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Update exterior lighting. Outside lights with motion sensors are a great approach in deterring prospective intruders. You might even incorporate them with outdoor cameras. The activating of a motion detector can signal your outdoor camera to begin recording.
- Maintain your yard. Can you easily see all of your property from the interior? Are there oversized trees and bushes obstructing the view? Remove potential areas to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it as well.
- Make friends with others in your community. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friendly with people around you, there’s a greater chance they’ll let you know if they see suspicious behavior. You can also join your neighborhood’s social media group if one is established.
- Benefit from home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re home by activating smart lighting at programmed times. This is a fantastic option when you’re away.